Special Education Review
Dear Greenwich families, staff, and community members:
During the 2020-2021 school year, GPS engaged with Public Consulting Group (PCG) to provide a comprehensive Special Education Review. PCG shared the results of the review in June 2021. Following the presentation, The Office of Special Education and Student Supports, in collaboration with PCG, has been working on developing a plan to address all 28 of the recommendations.
As no plan is complete without input from all stakeholder groups, the Special Education Action Plan 2021-2024 is being presented to you. In addition to the opportunity to review the document now, there will be several opportunities for comment and discussion.
The Special Education Action Plan will be reviewed on:
- November 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM during the SEAC meeting
- November 10, 2021 from 6:30-7:30 PM during a virtual town hall Q&A (Watch video)
- November 15, 2021 at the SES PTAC School Representative meeting
I also invite anyone who may not be able to make these meetings to reach out to me directly.
The final version of the Special Education Action Plan will be presented to the Board of Education at the December 16, 2021 meeting.
I look forward to hearing your input and continued collaboration between stakeholder groups in supporting our students with disabilities.
Stacey Heiligenthaler, Ph.D.
Interim Chief Officer of Special Education and Student Supports
Special Education Action Plan 2021-2024
Through a competitive and thorough bidding process, GPS has engaged Public Consulting Group (PCG) to provide a comprehensive Special Education Review. PCG will be conducting this extensive and independent review throughout the year.
- On Wednesday, October 21, 2020, PCG held a virtual kickoff meeting over Zoom to provide an overview of their project work and answer initial questions submitted by families. Meeting Video | Meeting Presentation
- On June 23, 2021, PGC presented the Executive Summary of their review to the Board of Education. The full PCG report and PowerPoint presentation included | Meeting Video
- One June 25, 2021, the Board of Education approved the Superintendent to extend a sole source contract to Public Consulting Group (PCG) for project management for the purpose of implementing special education review recommendations.
- On July 6, 2021, the Board of Education held a Special Meeting for the purpose of hearing public comment on the PCG Special Education Review findings and recommendations. | Meeting Video
- On July 27, 2021, the first update on progress toward the PCG recommendations was shared with the Board of Education.
- On September 9, 2021, Dr. Heiligenthaler presented an update to the Board of Education.