Safe School Climate
It is important for all members of the Greenwich community to work together to provide each young person with a safe and supportive learning environment. This means that the adults in schools, playgrounds, neighborhoods, sports facilities and homes work with our children and teens to prevent, recognize, report and respond to mean behaviors, especially those that may rise to the level of bullying (as defined by the State of Connecticut). Our goal is to foster a positive climate (physical, emotional and intellectual) and interrupt ANY kind of inappropriate peer interactions, intentional and unintentional.
Our plan in Greenwich for 2021-2022 includes different components to address the ways students engage in both positive and negative behaviors:
- Continuation of our emphasis on our common district norms:
- Be Here
- Be Safe
- Be Honest
- Care for Self and Others
- Let Go and Move On
- Continued implementation of the “Second Step” program at the preschool, elementary and middle school levels. The program gives students the tools to excel in and out of the classroom and to make progress in emotion management, situational awareness, and academic achievement.
- Refresher workshop for ALL certified and non-certified staff regarding their responsibilities under the Safe School Climate legislation.
- Continue to reinforce the District Norms through district-wide “Norm Days” included expanded community participation activities.
- Support to schools from members of the Behavior Support Teams to assist in the consistent implementation Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS).