Professional learning matters. The most important in-school determinant of a student’s success is the quality of teaching. Therefore, the most important resource that school districts have to ensure high quality teaching for every child is high-quality professional learning for educators.
Professional Learning in Greenwich Public Schools is "personalized, ongoing, continuous learning focused on professional growth that increases educator effectiveness to contribute to student success" (CSDE, 2013). GPS utilizes teacher feedback and data from the district Networks and Educator Evaluation to determine which learning opportunities should be provided for all GPS educators.
All learning opportunities planned and implemented in GPS are aligned to the Standards for Professional Learning adopted by the State Board of Education from Learning Forward. These standards are:
- Learning Communities
- Learning Designs
- Provide personalized choice in professional learning opportunities for all staff, which will support how educators personalize the learning in support of students’ academic needs
- Provide a coherent focus on how to personalize learning through data analysis, integration of technology, access to a standards-based curriculum, student self-regulation of their learning
- Provide a coherent focus of the nine foundation indicators and the revised TEPL indicators
- Provide training to support the implementation of dynamic digital learning tools and resources ensuring all staff have the technical skills to build a blended learning environment
- Provide ongoing embedded coaching to support our ability to personalize student learning