The Greenwich Board of Education offers four magnet elementary schools and one magnet middle school that accept students through an application process. The magnet school program is designed to serve three purposes:
- To advance and enhance student achievement by providing parents and students with educational options. Each magnet school offers a range of distinct education programs. Some emphasize particular academic subjects, while others use specific instructional approaches. Parents are encouraged to apply to those schools that they believe best meet the needs and interests of their children.
- To support the racial, ethnic, and economic diversity of all of the district's schools while complying to racial balance requirements established by the Connecticut legislature and the State Board of Education; and,
- To optimize the use of school facilities by balancing the distribution of students among elementary schools.
Magnet Application and Guidelines
NOTE: Magnet Application Deadline is February 9, 2018.
The application process begins in January of each year for enrollment in the following school year. If there are more applicants than seats available a lottery will be held. Applications are available via the link below, at the main office of each school, or by contacting the district magnet school office (203-625-7413) or the magnet schools directly.
- Hamilton Avenue School (Preschool-Grade 5)
- THe International School at Dundee (Kindergarten - Grade 5)
- Julian Curtiss School (Kindergarten - Grade 5)
- New Lebanon School (Kindergarten - Grade 5)
- Western Middle School
Hamilton Avenue School (HAS) is the District's first Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) school. STEM education can ignite interest and uses the inquiry approach to develop the skills and knowledge that prepares students for expanding college and career opportunities. In a state-of-the art building, built in 2009, with a science lab and television studio, HAS was one of the first two Greenwich Public Schools to launch a Digital Learning Environment (DLE) in 2012.
Julian Curtiss School (JCS) is a magnet school of World Languages since 2003; students attending represent 60 Countries, and 30 Languages, in 1 Great School. JCS offers the choice of learning either Spanish or French in grades K-5.