The Greenwich Board of Education offers four magnet elementary schools and one magnet middle school that accept students through an application process. The magnet school program is designed to serve three purposes:
- To advance and enhance student achievement by providing parents and students with educational options. Each magnet school offers a range of distinct education programs. Some emphasize particular academic subjects, while others use specific instructional approaches. Parents are encouraged to apply to those schools that they believe best meet the needs and interests of their children.
- To support the racial, ethnic, and economic diversity of all of the district's schools while complying to racial balance requirements established by the Connecticut legislature and the State Board of Education; and,
- To optimize the use of school facilities by balancing the distribution of students among elementary schools.
Programs and Services: GPS magnet schools provide the same curriculum, programs and services as all other Greenwich public elementary/middle schools. In addition, magnet schools offer a particular instructional framework and/or features that are unique to the individual schools.
Lottery Process: Each of the GPS magnet schools is also a neighborhood school, with students enrolled from within the designated attendance area. A limited number of magnet seats are available by application for students residing outside the magnet schools’ attendance areas. If more applications are received than there are seats available, a lottery is conducted.
Applicant Eligibility: Any resident of the Town of Greenwich with school-age children is eligible to apply to a GPS magnet school. Non-resident Town of Greenwich (TOG) employees are also eligible to apply to GPS magnet schools; Non-resident TOG applications will be considered after Greenwich resident applications are filled.
To learn more about the magnet school application process and the magnet programs at each school:
- explore the Magnet School brochure
- visit the District and School web sites
- attend a Magnet School Virtual Open House in January 2022
- contact a magnet school principal
K-8 magnet applications must be received online by February 1, 2022 in order to be included in the lottery for the 2022-2023 school year. Applications received after that date will be considered only after all lottery applications have been placed. Only one application per student can be submitted although you may enter up to 3 school lotteries. (If you are looking for preschool program, visit the GPS Preschool page.)