GPS Summer Reading 2019
Digital Summer Reading Collections in Partnership with Greenwich Public Library...
Greenwich Public Schools is pleased to provide our Summer Reading collection of titles available 24/7 through Overdrive and in partnership with Greenwich Public Library. Summer reading is critical to the academic progress of all our students. For this reason, we are providing:
- The goal of the Summer Reading program is for students to read widely and often.
- A collection professionally curated by school and public librarians
- Award-winning titles from all genres, inc. timeless classics and popular, new titles
Summer Reading Lists
- Many titles are available digitally through GPS's Overdrive account and through the Greenwich Public Library's Overdrive account (parents will need to sign up their child for a library card or use their own).
- Want to track your reading? Try our linked version, or create one that works for you!
Participation in Summer Reading directly impacts student achievement. Recent research confirms that students who do not read or engage in meaningful thinking activities can lose up to 30% of progress gained during their school year. The good news is that the research also shows that students who engage in reading book offerings, discussing books, and offering opportunities to have books read aloud or read-along counteracts any possible summer slide. Establishing a habit of lifelong reading early and nurturing it throughout our children’s school years, is critical to a child’s success in life.
We strongly encourage all parents to visit your Greenwich Public Library branch closest to you this summer. The public librarians will be able to help recommend titles and guide you on how to access them from either the Greenwich Public Schools or Greenwich Library digital collections.