GPS Summer Reading 2020
Digital Summer Reading Collections in Partnership with Greenwich Public Library...
Greenwich Public Schools is pleased to provide our Summer Reading collection of titles available 24/7 through Sora/Overdrive and in partnership with Greenwich Public Library. Summer reading is critical to the academic progress of all our students. For this reason, we are providing:
- Lists for students to choose from in order to promote reading widely and often
- A collection professionally curated by school and public librarians
- Award-winning titles from all genres, inc. timeless classics and popular, new titles
Participation in Summer Reading directly impacts student achievement.
- Recent research confirms that students who do not read or engage in meaningful thinking activities can lose up to 30% of progress gained during their school year.
- The good news is that the research also shows that students who engage in reading book offerings, discussing books, and offering opportunities to have books read aloud or read-along counteracts any possible summer slide.
Establishing a habit of lifelong reading early and nurturing it throughout our children’s school years is critical to a child’s success in life.
We strongly encourage all parents to access your Greenwich Public Library branch. The public librarians will be able to help recommend titles and guide you on how to access them from either the Greenwich Public Schools or Greenwich Library digital collections.