English Language Learners
Welcome, Bienvenidos, Konnichiwa!
Welcome to the English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program for the Greenwich Public Schools. Certified English Language Learner (ELL) teachers work with instructional aides and classroom teachers to provide comprehensive instruction in the English language, content areas and cultural awareness, aligned to a specific set of standards unique to our learners.
The mission of the ESOL program is to facilitate the acquisition of communicative and academic English, academic content and cultural competency to enable English Learners (ELs) to succeed in general education classes and U.S. communities as quickly a possible.
To meet the myriad needs of our students, ELL Staff provide:
- comprehensive, sheltered English language instruction encompassing all four language domains (speaking, listening, reading & writing) and critical thinking skills;
- content area instructional support aligned to GPS curricula, tailored to students’ linguistic proficiency and specific academic needs;
- linguistic proficiency data as well as cultural and educational background information to teachers and administrators to inform instruction;
- suggested research-based strategies for addressing individual student needs in the classroom;
- professional learning for all staff members to help facilitate culturally and linguistically diverse students’ academic growth.
To learn more about the Connecticut English Language Proficiency Standards (CELP), please visit the CT State Department of Education’s website, www.sde.ct.gov