Drop-off and Pick Up Procedure
After reviewing the arrival and dismissal process, we have decided to make minor but important changes to our procedures for students who are dropped off and picked up from school. The changes will enhance our learning community and support our efforts to maintain an orderly and safe arrival and dismissal process. We look forward to your strong support of our changes and we appreciate your assistance in following them throughout the year to enhance school safety and security.
If you change your child’s regular dismissal plans, please send in a note to your child’s teacher and contact the main office before 1:00 pm. No changes to your child’s dismissal plan will be made after 1:00 p.m.
Drop-off at the school begins at 7:55 a.m. For the safety of your child, please do not drop off your child and leave him/her unattended.
Children will be dismissed from class and be ready for pick-up beginning at 2:45 p.m. Parents/Caregivers will be given prior notice of scheduled early release days which will be noted on the District Calendar.
Please contact Bernadette DiSanto should you have any questions or concerns regarding the pick-up or drop-off procedures at Hamilton Avenue STEM Magnet School.
PROCEDURE FOR PARENTS/CAREGIVERS DROPPING OFF CURBSIDE IN PARKING LOT
Beginning at 7:55 a.m. students may be dropped off curbside in the parking lot following the procedures set forth below:
* All vehicles must follow the lane closest to the curb. Proceed slowly and continue to pull all the way forward until you are directed to stop by the school’s “Designated Personnel” (dedicated staff members) or if traffic is stopped immediately in front of you.
* Students may EXIT ONLY FROM THE CURBSIDE OF THE VEHICLE and only from the inside lane along the curb. Students are NEVER to exit a vehicle from the driver’s side into traffic.
* PARENTS/CAREGIVERS ARE TO REMAIN IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES. Students will exit the car. Designated Personnel will be stationed along the parking lot to offer assistance as needed. If you need to assist your child with his or her belongings please park and walk him or her to the entrance.
* Parents/Caregivers are requested to follow the directions of all Designated Personnel at all times and to use the drop-off lane as directed. Double parking is not allowed.
* Please do not use cell phones when you are in the drop-off line.
B. PROCEDURES FOR PARENTS/CAREGIVERS PARKING FOR DROP-OFF/WALKING STUDENTS TO SCHOOL
Beginning at 7:55 a.m. students may be walked to the entrance closest to the Parking Lot following the procedures set forth below. It is important to note that if you arrive after 8:25 a.m. you must enter through the entrance on St. Roch’s Avenue facing the playground.
* Pedestrians must use the crosswalk and sidewalk at all times.
* Parents/caregivers are not permitted to walk their children to their classrooms.
* If a parent/caregiver needs to come inside the building for an appointment or a meeting, he/she will only be allowed to come in through the main entrance of the building near the playground. Such caregiver must proceed directly to the office, sign in, inform the office staff of their destination and purpose in the building, and receive a visitor badge when their visit has been confirmed by the secretary before proceeding to their destination.
Parents/Caregivers of students in grades kindergarten to five will wait in the designated areas outside of the school to receive their children.
Placards for Parents Picking Up in the Parking Lot
If you decide to drive through the parking lot to pick up your child, please use the placards with your family name that will be sent home with students on the first day of school. Please check your child’s backpack for the placard. Contact the school office if you misplace or need additional placards.
A. PARENTS/CAREGIVERS PICKING UP CURBSIDE IN THE PARKING LOT
Beginning at 2:45 p.m. students may be picked-up curbside following the procedures set forth below:
* All vehicles must follow the lane closest to the curb. Proceed slowly and continue to pull forward until you are directed to stop by Designated Personnel or if traffic is stopped immediately in front of you. Entering through the out/exit lane is strictly prohibited.
* You must have the school provided placard on the passenger side visor of the vehicle.
* Designated Personnel will call students from the waiting area to come outside and direct the students to his/her vehicle.
* As vehicles depart from the pick-up line, please pull forward until Designated Personnel directs you to stop or the line is stopped directly in front of you.
* Students are NEVER to enter a vehicle on the driver’s side.
* Your child(ren) will walk to where you are stopped and enter your vehicle. PARENTS/CAREGIVERS MUST REMAIN IN THE VEHICLE AT ALL TIMES.
* Please do not use cell phones when you are in the pick-up line.
* If the parent/caregiver does not have a school authorized placard visible, Designated Personnel will follow school protocol to confirm that such parent/caregiver is authorized to pick-up the student in question. Such parent/caregiver WILL be required to provide valid I.D. for the release of such student.
B. PARENTS/CAREGIVERS PARKING FOR PICK-UP OR WALKING TO PICK UP STUDENTS IN GRADES K-5 CONVENE AT THE SHED NEAR PLAYGROUND
Beginning at 2:45 p.m. parents/caregivers will wait for their children to be released to them by the shed following the procedures set forth below:
* Designated Personnel will stand at the shed at dismissal with a sign out sheet.
* A parent/caregiver must walk to the Designated Personnel and add the student’s first and last name to the sign out sheet.
* Designated Personnel will then call the student from the waiting area and he/she will meet his/her parent/caregiver by the shed.
* If the Designated Personnel does not recognize the parent/caregiver picking up, he/she will follow school protocols to confirm that such caregiver is authorized to pick-up the student in question. The parent/caregiver WILL be required to provide valid I.D. for the release of the student.
Please note that vehicles are not allowed to park or drive through the bus circle on St. Roch’s Avenue. Additionally, vehicles should never pass a stopped school bus with the stop sign out. This indicates that the bus is either loading or unloading children and it is against the law to pass the bus. There is no parking allowed in the Fire Lane at any time.