Semester 1 Opportunity Block:
Please see the Catalog of Semester 1 Opportunity Block Offerings.
Opportunity Block Offerings are scheduled one time per cycle for the first
semester. Students may request up to eight Opportunity Block Offerings.
- September 19 - September 27: Review the Semester 1 Opportunity Block Offerings found and select Opportunity Block Offerings. See Letter from Headmaster Mayo, September 19, 2019, which includes directions to select offerings in Aspen.
- October 2: GHS will load Opportunity Block Offering requests into students' schedules, provided there is space available.
- October 4: Opportunity Block Offerings begin. Students should check their schedule in Aspen.
Opportunity Block Overview:
Opportunity block runs every day from 2:45PM to 3:15PM
The original goals for the Opportunity Block were:
- To provide flexibility to begin group and individual homework within a protected school setting.
- Minimize early dismissals for student-athletes for contests.
- Expand teacher access to students for individual help.
- Provide opportunities for students to pursue their unique interests, passions and curiosities
For more information on how Opportunity Block will be implemented at the High School in the 2019-2020 School year, please see the Memo from the Headmaster, August 30, 2019.
Students who have non-GHS athletic commitments, employment, responsibilities for a family member, involved in community service, have an internship or other activities may be released from Opportunity Block. Students other than seniors who wish to be released from Opportunity Block must complete the Opportunity Block Release Form and return it to their House Administrator for approval prior to being dismissed.