College Process / Post High School and Transition Planning
A Student Success Plan is an individualized profile of strengths, interests and milestones created by each student in collaboration with their school counselor, teachers, monitor, advisor or mentor, as well as their parents / guardians. The SSP begins in the 6th grade and continues through 12th grade. It is designed to help every student actively plan for their future, and to achieve their post high school educational and career goals. Each student is provided assistance in setting goals for personal, interpersonal and academic growth, meeting rigorous learning expectations in the classroom, and exploring post high school education and career interests.
Naviance Family Connection is a web-based service designed especially for students and parents to organize and document many of the milestones related to Student Success Plans. Go to GHS's Naviance account at https://student.naviance.
For guidance, information, activities and resources related to college and career planning at Greenwich High School, download our comprehensive GHS Planning Guide in English or GHS Planning Guide en Espanol.
Our weekly guidance newsletter, the College & Career Update, contains information about college admissions rep and military recruiter visits, college info sessions and open houses, scholarships, Guidance Department announcements and other important information.
There are a variety of ways to prepare for college admissions tests (PSAT, SAT, Subject Tests, ACT). Click here for a comprehensive list of test prep options. Helpful charts compare and contrast the SAT & ACT to help you decide which test will work best for you.
The Guidance Department delivers two annual "College Panels" to provide useful information and help students and parents with quality decision making.
- Click to view a video of our January 2020 College Kick Off Presentation.
- Click to view a video of our December 2019 PTA Counselor Panel.
- Click to view a video of our October 2019 College Admissions Panel.
- Click to view a video of our November 2018 PTA Counselor Panel.
- Click to view the video of our October 2017 College Admissions Panel.
- Click to view the video of our November 2017 PTA Counselor Panel.
Recommended Articles on College Admissions:
- Conversation Starters for Families for a Sane and Healthy College Process
- College & The Real You (Authentic Community Service)
- How to Survive the College Admissions Madness
- Jeffrey Brenzel on College Rankings
- Are Prestigious Colleges Worth the Cost?
- Why So Many College Students Decide to Transfer
- College & The Good Student ("authentic community service")
- Taming The Admissions Anxiety
- Two Truths and a Lie
- How to Choose a College That is Right For You
- Great Blog Articles by Forbes contributor Brennan Barnard
- Georgia Tech Admissions Blog, "Hope for the New Year"
- Creating Your College List - Lessons from an Enlightened Applicant
- Demand for Skilled Trades
- The Two Most Important Admissions Criteria Now Mean Less
- College Admission, Helplessness and Choice
- College Guide for Students on the Spectrum