GHS Fields Remediation Project
In July 2011, during the course of excavation work for the Greenwich High School building project, unexpected soil conditions were discovered in the fields. Comprehensive air, water and soil sampling was conducted, revealing levels of contaminants in the soil above acceptable limits. Interim remediation strategies were implemented and the fields were cleared as safe for use. The Greenwich Public Schools/Board of Education and the Town of Greenwich are working in collaboration to address the environmental concerns of the GHS fields. Licensed environmental professionals have been contracted to plan for and implement a comprehensive Remedial Action Plan (RAP). The Town of Greenwich and State Departments of Health and Environmental Protection and the Federal EPA are also involved in consultation on the testing and remediation plans.
The environmental investigation and remediation activities that began at Greenwich High School property in July 2011 have progressed to the second phase (Phase II) of remediation under the Connecticut Voluntary Remediation Program, and remediation of the athletic fields is ongoing.
Some of the highlights include:
- Phase II activities for Field 4 of the Greenwich High School property commenced in June 2021 and will continue through winter 2021-2022. This work includes the replacement of the artificial turf for Field 4. Field 4 and a portion of Field 3 will remain closed through winter 2021-2022.
- Phase II site work will impact certain athletic fields availability through 2023. The bullpen areas and grass area outside the Field 5 outfield fence and one row of parking will remain closed for the duration of the project
- The building will be closed again this summer for safe trucking of soil off the site.
As a reminder:
- The school continues to be safe
- Parking areas and most athletic fields are available for use during the school year
- A Remedial Action Plan (RAP) for Phase II of site cleanup was submitted to DEEP and EPA in January 2021
- DEEP and EPA approved the plan for the Town to proceed with remediation in the area of Field 4 and are reviewing the remainder of the plan, which addresses remediation in Fields 2 and 3
- School facilities are otherwise open and safe for use
- School facilities are closed during the summer
For a more detailed updates, please refer to the dropdown below.
The Town of Greenwich and Greenwich Public Schools held a virtual public meeting to provide additional information to the community and provide additional opportunity for comment. Representatives from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CT DEEP) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will also be available to answer questions. The public meeting was held via Zoom and began at 6:00 pm on January 27, 2021. The recording of the public meeting is included below and the presentation that was shared is available here. Additionally, details about how to submit public comment in writing are below. The deadline to submit public comment is March 1, 2021.
Verbal and written comments from the public were accepted at the forum.
Written comments can also be submitted to:
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Please note: Public comment period runs through March 1, 2021