The State of Connecticut's Department of Education has recognized Greenwich Public Schools as a highly performing physically active school system (PASS). As such, the school received the 2019 Connecticut Red Ribbon PASS Program Award. The PASS award demonstrates the District's commitment to implementing strategies for students to be physically active for at least 60 minutes throughout each school day, and recipients demonstrate the required standards noted below.
- Connect: Successfully acknowledge the connection between mind and body through the offering of 60 minutes of activity daily
- Cooperate: Successfully develop and execute community-based physical programs (developing cooperation between school and members of the community)
- Collaborate: Successfully promote collaboration among the school community and external stakeholders
- Communicate: Successfully communicate physical education programming and activities
In the PASS Award application, Greenwich Schools demonstrated our commitment to physical education using the International School at Dundee as a representative example of the physical activity offered by the District. Examples shared in the application include:
- Physical Education: 120 minutes/week
- Before school programming: 40 minutes/day; 5 days/week
- After school programming: 60 minutes/day; 5 days/week
- Daily recess: 20 minutes/day
- PTA sponsored "Wellness Week" includes Nutrition Programming in the cafeteria during lunch waves
- ISD Skate Night: PTA-sponsored annual event to provide an opportunity for a physically active and social event.
- ISD's Annual 5K Color Challenge (a community fundraiser and physical fitness event that draws hundreds of participants)
- Accessible busing to local Boys and Girls Club and YWCA for after school programs
- Physical Education Academic Report (presented publicly to the Board of Education and to the community)
- ISD's Weekly "Dragon Tales" newsletter
"This is an exciting recognition for our entire school district and we are thrilled that the International School at Dundee will host our award banner. Our Physical Education staff is committed to creating fun, inclusive and creative ways for our students to be active throughout their school experience," said Superintendent of Greenwich Public Schools' Dr. Toni Jones.
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) identified our district as a PASS award recipient on the department's "Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child" (WSCC) webpage. Program Coordinator for Physical Education/Health/Family & Consumer Science Jeremy Boland and Chief Academic Officer Irene Parisi attended the Connecticut Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (CAHPERD)'s General Session on November 21, 2019 in Cromwell, CT to formally accept the award.
"While Irene and I may have accepted the award, it was truly an honor given to our entire Physical Education staff, broader administration, PTA members and Greenwich community. I'm very proud to be able to say that Greenwich was one of only two school districts in the State of Connecticut that received this particular award," shared Mr. Boland.
Stated in the notification letter, "The CSDE commends your district's efforts to provide students with opportunities to be physically active throughout the school day and shares your commitment to including physical activity as an essential component of student success."
Event Details for Banner Unveiling:
Location: International School at Dundee
Date: Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Time: 3:30PM (*Banner will be presented to ISD Staff during a Staff Meeting)
Program Coordinator for Physical Education/Health/Family & Consumer Science