Do not rely on any ONE form of communication for information related to school closings, delays and/or early release. Please check phone, email, web, television and/or radio in anticipation of any changes of opening status for schools.
In the event of inclement weather or other causes (power outages, etc.) for the delayed opening or closing of school, the Superintendent or his/her designee will determine an appropriate and safe course of action. Generally, the decision is made and announced* between 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Please note that although every attempt is made to determine the opening status of the schools as early as possible, the Superintendent reserves the right to make that decision at any time based on the conditions of the moment. In the case of a delayed opening, please continue to check the status of the schools, as the status could change to a closing if the weather or an emergency situation continues/becomes worse.
*The following methods of communication will be used for notification of school closures and delayed openings:
- GPS Web Site: www.greenwichschools.org
- CT Weather Web Site: http://www.ctweather.com/ian-school-cancellations
- District ParentLink: The District will use the ParentLink electronic telephone communication system to call the primary number for each family at approximately 6:00 AM; and to call GPS staff at 5:30 AM.
- Radio: local and regional stations
- Television: Cablevision Channel News 12 and other local and regional stations
In the case of an early release, every effort will be made to make a decision prior to 10:00 a.m. in order to follow the standard early release schedule. However, a decision could be made at anytime to dismiss earlier or later than the ‘standard’ schedule. In either case, the early release dismissal times are listed on the GPS Web Site. It is suggested that if there is a chance of inclement weather, and parents/guardians will not be available that day due to work or other obligations, that parents/guardians check in with emergency contacts and make arrangements in case an early release is called.
*The following methods of communication will be used for notification of an unscheduled Early Release:
- GPS Web Site: www.greenwichschools.org
- Local Radio Station: WGCH
- Gmail for GPS staff
- Parentlink email to primary contacts - all schools (no call/no emergency contacts)
*The following additional methods of communication MAY be used for notification of an unscheduled Early Release:
- School ParentLink: Schools will use their ParentLink electronic telephone and/or email system at the discretion of each school’s building leader and based on the individual school’s Early Release notification protocol
- Other local and/or regional radio and television stations
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS USING SCHOOL FACILITIES
If your children are participating in after-school programs with organizations using the school facilities (e.g., PTA Afters, Childcare organizations, Boy/Girl Scouts, etc.) please check with the organization in regard to their closing notification protocols.
ParentLink eCommunication System:
For Delayed Openings/School Closings: The District will call parents/guardians using the primary number listed in the Student database. Each household will receive only one call, no matter the number of (public) schools their children are enrolled in. Do not rely on this method of communication as the sole resource for determining the opening status of schools.
For an Early Release: Schools MAY choose to use school ParentLink telephone and/or email system for notification. Each building leader will share with parents the protocol for early release notification for their building. Do not rely on this method of communication as the sole resource for determining the opening status of schools.
* WGCH 1490AM – This local Greenwich radio station is among the first to announce school opening status changes and other news.
For weather-related school opening changes the following stations are also contacted:
|WICC-600AM - Bridgeport
|WEBE-107.9FM - Norwalk
|WEZN-99.9FM - Bridgeport
* Cablevision's Channel 12 - This local cable news channel is among the first to announce school opening status changes, emergency and other news.
For weather-related school closing or delayed opening notifications, the following stations are also contacted:
WVIT (NBC)-TV30 (6)-New Briton/Hartford/New Haven/Waterbury
WTNH (ABC)-TV8-New Haven
WTIC-TV Fox 61, Hartford