Advanced Learning Program
The mission of the Greenwich Public Schools is to educate all students to their highest level of academic potential and to teach them the skills and knowledge to become capable, creative and responsible members of society. Gifted children who have demonstrated potential far beyond that of their same age peers need differentiated programs and services to reach this goal. By virtue of their more advanced development and interests, they may need opportunities beyond those typically provided in the regular classroom. It is recognized that high ability children come from all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and have diverse abilities and interests.
The scope of the program currently extends from second through eighth grade. All levels of the program share the following overarching objectives:
- Provide for cognitive development in core curriculum areas at an appropriate pace and depth.
- Develop self-understanding that encourages and fosters independent and self-directed learning.
- Develop intellectual and scholarly skills and attitude.
- Promote critical, creative and divergent thinking skills.
- Develop research skills and methods.
- Foster intellectual inquiry at all levels.
- Develop aesthetic knowledge, skills and appreciation.
- Facilitate opportunities for extracurricular learning, including academic competitions and field trips to nearby cultural exhibitions and events.
Cos Cob School's ALP teachers are Kathy Feinberg, Christopher Muccio, and Tracey Salvatore.