6-8 Library Media and Technology Curriculum
Transdisciplinary Strand 5: Literature Appreciation and Independent Learning
5: Students read widely and use a variety of digital media resources
for personal growth, independent learning and enjoyment.1. Develop appreciation and self-motivation as a reader.
Enduring Understanding: Reading is a foundation skill for learning, personal growth, and enjoyment.
Essential Question: How can reading become a foundational skill for learning, personal growth, and enjoyment?
• Participate in read-aloud, storytelling, and booktalking, silent and voluntary reading experiences.
• Demonstrate active listening skills
• Demonstrate self-motivation as a reader.
• Identify award-winning books, their selection criteria and attributes
• Read from a variety of genres of literature.
• Demonstrate awareness of literature from various cultures and genres.
• Recognize reading is a lifelong pursuit.
• Incorporate critical and creative thinking skills to evaluate literary elements.2. Collaborate and share knowledge of information and literary sources.
• Collaborate with others, both in person and through technologies, to share knowledge of literary sources, both print and non-print.
• Share books by favorite authors and illustrators. 3. Determine and select materials appropriate to personal abilities and interests.
• Understand and use the library as an information and pleasure reading source.
• Select resources both within and outside the school for personal and informational purposes.
• Develop and communicate personal criteria for selecting resources for information needs and enjoyment.