The Greenwich Board of Education has opened four magnet elementary schools and one magnet middle school that accept students through an application process. The magnet school program is designed to serve three purposes:
- To advance and enhance student achievement by providing parents and students with educational options. Each magnet school offers a range of distinct education programs. Some emphasize particular academic subjects, while others use specific instructional approaches. Parents are encouraged to apply to those schools that they believe best meet the needs and interests of their children.
- To support the racial, ethnic, and economic diversity of all of the district's schools while complying to racial balance requirements established by the Connecticut legislature and the State Board of Education; and,
- To optimize the use of school facilities by balancing the distribution of students among elementary schools.
The International School at Dundee (ISD)opened in September 2000 and is an authorized International Baccalaureate-Primary Years Program school.
ISD Open House:
Friday, January 9, 2015 - 9:00 AM Cancelled due to weather (Snow Date in Effect: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 9:00 AM)
Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 7:00 PM)
Hamilton Avenue SCHOOL will celebrate its 100th Anniversary in 2015, in a new state-of-the-art elementary facility, rebuilt and re-opened in 2009. Hamilton Avenue School will implement a new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) magnet program beginning in the 2015-2016 school year.
HAS Open House:
Thursday, January 8, 2015 - 9:00 AM (Snow Date: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 9:00 AM)
Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 7:00 PM)
Julian Curtiss School (JCS) re-opened as a magnet school in September 2003. The choice of one of two foreign languages (French or Spanish) is offered in Grades K-5.
JCS Open House:
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 - 9:00 AM (Snow Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 9:00 AM)
Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 7:00 PM)
New Lebanon School (NLS) Re-opened in September 2009 as a magnet school and is an authorized International Baccalaureate-Primary Years Program school.
NLS Open House:
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 8:30 AM (Snow Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 8:30 AM)
Monday, January 12, 2015 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 7:00 PM)
WESTERN MIDDLE SCHOOL (WMS) is opening in 2014-2015 as a magnet school. WMS is an authorized International Baccalaureate World School offering a three-year Middle Years Program.
WMS Open House:
Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - 9:00 AM (Snow Date: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 9:00 AM)
Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Thursday, January 8, 2015 - 7:00 PM)
The application process begins in January of each year for enrollment in the following school year. If there are more applicants than seats available a lottery will be held. Applications are available via the link below, at the main office of each school, or by contacting the district magnet school office (625-7421) or the magnet schools directly.
Magnet School Guidelines for the 2015-2016 School Year
2015-2016 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Guidelines Revised 1/6/15 – English
2015-2016 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Guidelines – Spanish
Completing the Magnet School Application for the 2015-2016 School Year
Before completing the application, read the Magnet Program Guidelines. Use the application below to apply for any/all Greenwich Public School Magnet Schools for the 2014-15 School Year. Selecting the link opens an Adobe Acrobat form. Set the document viewing size to actual size. You can complete and submit the application three different ways:
- Printing the application form, filling it out by hand (please print legibly), and mailing to the address in the lower right hand corner of the application, OR
- Completing the form online (do not fill in the signature box on the form), selecting the print button at the top of the form (will send the completed application to your printer), signing the form, and mailing to the address in the lower right hand corner of the application, OR
- Completing the form online. When you fill in the signature box the form will prompt you to save and rename the document. Add your child’s name to the document name. Email the completed form to email@example.com. If you have not set up your computer to digitally sign a document, the form will prompt you on how to do so. Receipt of applications received via email will be confirmed via return email.
2015-2016 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Application – English
2015-2016 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Application – Spanish
For further information regarding the application process contact the district magnet school office at 203-625-7413.