The Greenwich Board of Education has opened four elementary and one middle magnet schools that accept students through an application process. The magnet school program has a three part purpose:
- The magnet program is designed to advance and enhance student achievement by providing parents and students with educational options. Each magnet school offers a range of distinct education programs. Some emphasize particular academic subjects, while others use specific instructional approaches. Parents are encouraged to apply to those schools that they believe best meet the needs and interests of their children.
- The magnet program is designed to support the racial, ethnic, and economic diversity of all of the district's schools while complying to racial balance requirements established by the Connecticut legislature and the State Board of Education; and,
- The magnet program is designed to optimize the use of school facilities by balancing the distribution of students among elementary schools.
The International School at Dundee (ISD)opened in September 2000 and is an authorized International Baccalaureate-Primary Years Program school.
ISD Information Sessions:
Monday, January 27, 2014 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 7:00 PM)
The Renaissance School at Hamilton Avenue (RSHA) re-opened as a magnet school in September 2001, introduced a new magnet program in 2007 and moved into a new building in 2009.
RSHA Information Sessions:
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 9:00 AM (Snow Date: Thursday, January 24, 2014 - 9:00 AM)
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 7:00 PM)
Julian Curtiss School (JCS) re-opened as a magnet school in September 2003. The choice of one of two foreign languages (French or Spanish) is offered in Grades K-5.
JCS Information Sessions:
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 7:00 PM)
Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 9:00 AM (Snow Date: Friday, January 17, 2013 - 9:00 AM)
New Lebanon School (NLS) Re-opened in September 2009 as a magnet school and is an authorized International Baccalaureate-Primary Years Program school. New Lebanon will not be accepting new magnet students in 2014-2015 except for siblings of students who are already enrolled.
WESTERN MIDDLE SCHOOL (WMS) is opening in 2014-2015 as a magnet school. WMS is an authorized International Baccalaureate World School offering a three-year Middle Years Program.
WMS Information Sessions:
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 7:00 PM (Snow Date: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 7:00 PM)
Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:00 AM
The application process begins in January of each year for enrollment in the following school year. If there are more applicants than seats available a lottery will be held. Applications are available via the link below, at the main office of each school, or by contacting the district magnet school office (625-7421) or the magnet schools directly.
Magnet School Guidelines for the 2014-2015 School Year
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Overview – English (Posted January 9, 2014)
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Overview – Spanish (To Be Posted)
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Guidelines – English (Revised February 26, 2014)
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Guidelines – Spanish (Posted February 27, 2014)
Completing the Magnet School Application for the 2014-15 School Year
Before completing the application, read the Magnet Program Guidelines. Use the application below to apply for any/all Greenwich Public School Magnet Schools for the 2014-15 School Year. Selecting the link opens an Adobe Acrobat form. Set the document viewing size to actual size. You can complete and submit the application three different ways:
- Printing the application form, filling it out by hand (please print legibly), and mailing to the address in the lower right hand corner of the application, OR
- Completing the form online (do not fill in the signature box on the form), selecting the print button at the top of the form (will send the completed application to your printer), signing the form, and mailing to the address in the lower right hand corner of the application, OR
- Completing the form online. When you fill in the signature box the form will prompt you to save and rename the document. Add your child’s name to the document name. Email the completed form to email@example.com. If you have not set up your computer to digitally sign a document, the form will prompt you on how to do so. Receipt of applications received via email will be confirmed via return email.
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Application – English (Posted January 9, 2014)
2014-2015 Greenwich Public Schools Magnet Program Application – Spanish (To Be Posted)
For further information regarding the application process contact the district magnet school office at 625-7421.