Transdisciplinary Learning Approach: A Hands-On Workshop
DEFINITION: Transdisciplinary learning is the exploration of a relevant issue or problem that integrates the perspectives of multiple disciplines in order to connect new knowledge and deeper understanding to real life experiences.
The following outline provides resources to help educators develop comprehensive units reflecting a transdisciplinary approach to learning.
Why transdisciplinary learning?
- Explore resources on transdisciplinary learning to reach a shared understanding of its definition, vision, scope and purpose in educational reform.
- Compare and contrast elements of multi- , inter- and transdisciplinary units.
- Visual diagram adapted from Beyond the Boundaries (Kaufman, Moss, Osborn).
How does transdisciplinary learning connect to Understanding by Design, the Vision of the Graduate and curriculum realignments ?
- Explore possible unifying issues/inquiry topics for transdisciplinary learning.
- How does the Vision of a Graduate compare to our shared understanding of transdisciplinary learning?
- How does Understanding by Design connect with the vision of transdisciplinary learning?
- How do changes in curricular areas connect to the idea of transdisicplinary learning?
Unit Plan Criteria and Tools