In 1756, there were 9 school districts in the Town
of Greenwich and because the area was an agricultural center, the
school year was only 6 months long! The first official Glenville School
was called the Inkwell.
In 1857 the Riversville Octagonal School
was built on Riversville Road, north of Sherwood Avenue. In the late
1800's overcrowding caused classes to be scattered all over town to
accomodate students. It was even necessary to rent additional classroom
space in private homes in the community, indicating the need for a much
larger school structure. In 1921 the original Glenville School was
built on Riversville Road. On November 18th, over 600 persons attended
the opening of this new Glenville School.
On April 28, 1975 the
current Glenville School opened in its new location on Riversville
Road, an open space facility designed to accomodate new learning
opportunities for students of the Glenville area.
On December 1, 2009 a newly rebuilt Glenville School opened its doors once again. Unlike the old school, the new building has large windows to illuminate the cafeteria and media center. Each classroom is equipped with technology upgrades such as wireless internet, speaker systems and SMARTboards with LCD projectors. And at the center of the building, a small outdoor courtyard provides easier access to the schools academic corridors.
The Glenville Area
In 1634 Thomas Sherwood sailed from England, and in 1674 his son Steven was granted what was to become Glenville by the Queen of England.
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
Glenville was originally known as Sherwood's Bridge. It got this name from the stone bridge which runs across the Byram River. A fierce Revolutionary War battle took place there in 1779. General Putnam and his troops turned back the British and saved Greenwich and Stamford from being conquered.
The History of what is now called the Mill, one of the most famous landmarks in Greenwich, dates back to the 1700's. It was originally built by Solomon Reynolds as a grist mill, using the power of the Byram River to turn giant stones to grind corn and wheat into grist to feed cattle. At the time it was the only mill of its kind between New York and Greenwich. Later it was converted to a factory that produced cotton goods and blankets. Ownership of the mill changed hands many times. In 1881, a 52 watt generator designed by Thomas Edison was installed in the factory to create electricity. The Civil War increased the need for felt and felt products. In 1899 a group of Boston bankers founded the American Felt Company using the Monk's foot logo and turned the landmark into a mill making felt for pianos, cars and airplanes. It continued as a working felt mill until 1978 when it was turned into a commercial area in Glenville.
This authentic sample of student work may contain spelling and/or grammar errors consistent with the development levels of the students.