To be eligible for the award, a nominee must
• be a full-time* staff member** who teaches in the Greenwich Public Schools,
• have completed at least five (5) years of teaching by March 6, 2014,
• have completed at least three (3) years of teaching in the Greenwich Public Schools by March 6, 2014.
• be an employee in good standing – Please note that the Greenwich Public Schools’ Human Resources Department will review each nomination to confirm the above mentioned eligibility requirements and to review each candidate’s personnel file to determine employee in good standing status. For further information on the criteria, please contact the GPS Human Resources Department, prior to submitting the completed nomination packet.
(Previous award recipients are not eligible for re-nomination.)
* equal to or greater than 0.5
**any member of the GEA, including teachers, social workers, guidance counselors, and school psychologists
Nominations may be made by anyone representing one of the following categories; the seconders must represent the remaining two categories:
• one professional colleague, currently employed by the Greenwich Public Schools
• one administrator, currently employed by the Greenwich Public Schools
• one parent/student/other current community member
(Members of the Distinguished Teachers Award Committee may not nominate or second a nomination.)
Only one nomination packet per candidate will be accepted. We will accept the first nomination submitted; any subsequent nominations for the same candidate will not be accepted.
The main emphasis in identifying a distinguished teacher is the quality of the teacher’s work with students.
(updated January 2016)
Candidates nominated for the Distinguished Teachers Award should be those who exhibit the qualities which are listed below. It is essential that nominators and seconders cite specific examples of the following qualities:
* Inspires enthusiasm, expects students to take responsibility for thir own learning, and elicits a high level of achievement from students in relation to their individual abilities
* Demonstrates and continues to pursue a high mastery of subject matter and best practices for instruction
* Has the respect of students, parents and colleagues
* Communicates well with parents and students
* Collaborates and makes contributions to improve overall student achievement within the classroom
* Makes contributions to improve the school and/or the District beyond the classroom
For questions about nominations or procedures, please contact the Communications Office at the Havemeyer Building at 625-7415 or firstname.lastname@example.org .