School Start (Bell) Times
Exploration of optimal school start (bell) times for maximizing the academic success and social and emotional well-being of all Greenwich Public School students began in August, 2015. Since that initial exploration, the Board of Education has taken action to change school start and dismissal times effective with the 2017-2018 school year, and has established an ad hoc committee to guide the implementation . Explore the information below for documents, videos, timelines and more related to this subject.
- SST Frequently Asked Questions
- SST Ad Hoc Committee (Implementation - Active Committee)
- SST Committee (Exploration)
- SST Project Updates-Related Documents
This is the first of periodic updates on the progress of implementation for the new bell times, which begin on the first day of the 2017-2018 school year. We encourage you to send your questions to the Office of the Superintendent at email@example.com. Questions of general interest will be included in the next update and specific questions will be addressed with whatever information is current.
- Are school bell times changing for the Greenwich Public Schools (GPS)?
- What will the new bell times be?
- When will we know if the Elementary School bell times will change?
- When will new times begin?
- Will my bus stop change?
- Will bus rides be longer?
- Can I continue to drop off my child(ren) early at school?
- My child(ren) is/are not eligible for bus transportation. What options will be available for my child/ren to get to school if my work schedule no longer allows me to transport them to school?
- How will this impact other programs, including athletics offered in the GPS?
- Are there plans to evaluate the impact of the change in bell times?
- My child participates in an after school program (activity or athletics) that is a private program and not a part of the GHS program, what provisions are being made to mitigate the impact of a change in school bell times for these programs?
- How will I continue to be informed?
The September 2016 proposal presented to the Board of Education, called for at least two elementary schools’ bell times to change, with the remaining nine elementary schools maintaining their 8:15 a.m. or 8:45 a.m. start times. The SST Committee is working toward maintaining current bell times for each of the eleven elementary schools and plan to finalize this decision late winter 2017.
Our response to this question is based on our initial review of all programs, including athletics, and is subject to minor changes as we further flesh out all options.
- Academic programming in GPS will not change.
- Every effort is being made to minimize the impact of the change in bell times on after school activities and sports, including when students will be dismissed early from class to participate in after school activities. This is a work in progress and additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
- Levels of current Greenwich High School athletic teams will remain, i.e. Freshmen, JV and Varsity sports teams. We are working to minimize any changes in the total 9 - 12 sports program.
- Extra-curricular activities will continue before and after school.
While we cannot make changes for private programs, we respectfully request that parents advise the proper individuals who are responsible for these programs about our schedule change. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to those individuals to share whatever information we can that might help them to possibly adjust their program.
The School Start (Bell) Time Ad Hoc Committee was formed following a motion made and carried by the Board of Education at the September 22, 2016 Business Meeting. The committee was charged to work with the administration in finalizing and implementing a later school start (bell) time plan. The committee will also develop criteria for measuring ongoing student impact of a later start time and develop an outline to assist the administration in reporting to the Board on a bi-annual basis and with updates as needed. More Information
The School Start Time (SST) Steering Committee was charged (Español) with developing and implementing a project plan to explore optimal school start times for maximizing the academic success and social and emotional well-being of all Greenwich Public School students.
The School Start Time- Steering Committee met bimonthly from August 24, 2015 through June 17, 2016 . It was the goal and objective of the committee to keep the community engaged and informed about the work and developments related to the exploration of a change to the start and end times for Greenwich Public Schools.
SST STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP AND MEETINGS (2015-2016)
Tom Bobkowski- Director of School Safety
Janice Domiziano- Transportation Manager
Sophie Dowling- PTAC Representative-At-Large
Valerie Erde- Greenwich Chapter Leader- Start School Later
Mary Forde- Director of Pupil Personnel
Diane Chiappetta-Fox- Greenwich High School Student Activities Director
Mary Stuart Freydberg- PTAC Representative GHS
Anthony Giovannone- Accounting Supervisor
Jim Healy- PTAC Representative MS
Tom Healy- Middle School Administrator/GOSA
Jim Hricay- Managing Director of Operations
Gus Lindine- Athletic Director
Rick Piotrzkowski- High School Administrator/GOSA
Susie Ponce- PTAC Representative ES
Gene Schmidt- Elementary School Administrator/ GOSA
Caroline Smit- United Way Representative/Youth Services Coordinator
Bob Stacy- Director of Human Resources
Carol Sutton- GEA Representative
Bobby Walker- Boys & Girls Club Executive Director
Chris Winters- Greenwich High School Headmaster
MEETING AGENDA AND MINUTES
|JUNE 17, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|MAY 19, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|MAY 3, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|APRIL 21, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|APRIL 6, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|MARCH 18, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|MARCH 3, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|FEBRUARY 18, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|JANUARY 28, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|JANUARY 5, 2016||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|NOVEMBER 30, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|NOVEMBER 12, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|OCTOBER 30, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|OCTOBER 15, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|SEPTEMBER 30, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|SEPTEMBER 17, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|SEPTEMBER 4, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
|AUGUST 24, 2015||NOTICE||AGENDA||MINUTES|
BOE Meeting Documents and SST Videos
- To view all Board of Education meeting documents relating to School Start Times, visit the GPS BoardDocs site
- All School Start Time related videos (not including Board Meetings) are located on the GPS Vimeo Channel
School Start Time BOE Presentations
- School Start Time Recommendation from Superintendent (En Español)- June 14, 2016
- Transportation Analysis & Baseline Report- March 10, 2016
- SST Status Report and Update - February 4, 2016
- SST Recommendation Update - November 5, 2015 (En Español)
- SST Status Report and Update - October 8, 2015 (En Español)
Stakeholder Feedback and Important Documents
- School Start Time Options - Presented May 12, 2016 by Superintendent William McKersie
- Start Time Variables and Implications - Presented May 12, 2016 by Superintendent William McKersie
- Detailed Phase II SST Timeline (Español)
- GPS Staff, Parents and Secondary Students Survey Results - Spring 2016 (Survey Analysis)
- Online Stakeholder Responses on SST - Fall 2015
- GHS Student Survey Results - November 2015
- GPS Staff Survey Results - Fall 2015
- SST Exploration Parent Survey - Spring 2015
- SST Exploration GPS Staff Survey - Spring 2015
- SST Exploration Student Survey - Spring 2015